Summer is finally here and so let’s start enjoying it! Just make sure you are keeping yourself protected from those darn UV rays. When it comes to your face, make sure you do a little research to find the right formulation for your skin. SPF is just one factor in choosing and wearing a sunscreen. How a sunscreen feels, smells and works with your makeup will determine whether you rub it in.
Here are my top 5 best facial sunscreens:
1. Skinceuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50
Overall: This one gets my vote for best facial sunscreen of all time! The Skinceuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50 is goes on smoothly and weightlessly, and gives you luminous finish without being sticky, greasy, or smelly. It’s a 100% physical sunscreen with transparent titanium dioxide and zinc oxide which means it actually reflects the sun’s rays (opposed to most chemical sunscreens which absorb and break down UV rays.)
- Physical mineral sunblock with titanium dioxide and zinc oxide
- Very water-resistant
- Smooth luminous finish
- Lightly tinted so you’re not left with that white chalky look
- Great for sensitive skin because it’s both chemical free and paraben free
- Light weight formulation so you don’t feel like you’re wearing sun screen
Cons: I love this stuff so much I only wish it came in a bigger bottle!
2. Jan Marini Antioxidant Daily Face Protectant SPF 30
Overall: The Jan Marini Antioxidant Daily Face Protectant SPF 30 is a great daily tinted moisturizer and sunscreen combo. This one step moisturizer and sunscreen has a light smooth texture, that’s quickly absorbed into the skin which made it a runner up for best facial sunscreen. I like how it doesn’t leave that ghostly white sunscreen look and its light pleasant scent.
- Lightweight formula infused with mineral-based color pigments to minimize the appearance of imperfections.
- Broad-spectrum UV filters shield your skin from environmental damage
- Contains antioxidants to combat free radical damage
- Hyaluronic acid binds moisture to your skin to plump and brighten your complexion
- It comes in 3 tinted shades, as well as clear
- Lightly scented a pleasant kiwi fruit scent
- Slightly tacky when dry (Mind you I have oily skin, which is partially the reason why)
- (The tints aren’t meant for Asian skin tones)
- Chemical based sunscreen (which is fine, but I prefer physical sunscreens)
3. Eltamd UV Clear SPF 46
Overall: The Eltamd UV Clear SPF 46 is great as a moisturizer and sunscreen in one. I found it to be quite moisturizing, so it would be better for normal to dry skin types. I love soft creamy texture that gave it a more traditional face cream feel.
- Broad-Spectrum protection from harmful UVA and UVB ray
- Smooth formula features hyaluronic acid to moisturize while lactic acid refines the skin to clear pores and reduce shine
- Fragrance free
- Lightweight, oil-free formulation
- Ideal for sensitive or acne-prone complexion
- A little bit heavy for my oily skin
- I would love for it to have a tint
4. Colorescience Pro Sunforgettable Mineral Powder Brush SPF 50
Overall: The solution for the sunscreen hater! Colorescience Pro Sunforgettable Mineral Powder Brush SPF 50 is a brush on mineral powder sunscreen that works as a physical block. It comes in a smart retractable self-dispensing brush that’ perfect for on-the-go application and re-application. It’s pretty translucent so you can even apply it on top of your makeup without disturbing it. I personally love using this sunscreen as my midday touch-up matting powder.
- Lightweight mineral powder creates barely-there feel
- Highly water-resistant
- Long-lasting sun protection
- Safe, non-irritating, instant UVA and UVB sun protection.
- Available in 3 skin tones and clear
- Don’t apply it to a sweaty/wet face,
- Sometimes if you’re reapplying often you’ll feel a little ‘dusty’. But I find using a hydrating spray like Jane Iredale D2o Hydration Spray to makes it more blendable
- It’s difficult to wash the brush and keep it clean
5. DDF Organic Sunblock SPF 30
Overall: Love the organic factor of the sunscreen. Good for sensitive skin. Acts as a physical barrier that repels the sun’s harmful UVA/UVB rays.
- Great for irritated, sensitive skin that requires total sunblock protection
- Chemical and fragrance free
- Complete free radical protection with 11 powerful antioxidants.
- Has a little bit of that chalky sunscreen feel