So you have the biggest chocolate craving, but you’re trying to stay healthy. I’ve been there myself far too often. So instead of trying to ignore that craving, try finding a healthier option like these avocado brownies!
These avocado brownies are sure to hit the spot with less sugar than traditional brownies, plus with all the health benefits of avocados as well!
P.S. If you’re looking to curb your sweet tooth, this post on breaking your sugar addiction is for you!
Using avocado for healthy desserts and baked goods has been a favourite trick of mine. Avocado is high in good fats and has a creamy, velvety texture.
When baking, avocados can be used to replace butter, shortening, and sometimes even eggs. I find desserts with avocados turn out incredibly moist and rich while contributing to their overall health benefits.
The Benefits of Avocados
Most baked goods use butter or oil to give brownies a fudgy texture, but did you know that avocados can do the same thing while also adding health benefits?
But why Avocados?
- Avocados are a great source of vitamins C, E, K, and B-6, as well as riboflavin, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, magnesium, and potassium.
- They also provide lutein, beta-carotene, and healthy fats like omega-3 fatty acids and oleic acid, which has been linked to reducing inflammation.
- They may help to lower total cholesterol levels. (source)
- Adding avocado to your food may help to increase nutrient absorption, specifically with vitamins A, D, E, and K, which are fat soluble. (source)
Can you taste the avocado in the brownies?
When it comes to taste, avocados fairly mild. I find they’re hardly noticeable by the time you’ve loaded up these fudgy avocado brownies with cocoa and chocolate chips. And if you do, it’s minimal and actually blends quite well with the chocolate.
Ingredients for Avocado Brownies Recipe
- 1 large avocado (ripe)
- ½ cup mashed banana
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup chocolate chip
Baking Instructions for Avocado Brownies
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a 9-inch square baking dish with parchment paper.
2. What’s great about this recipe is you can make your avocado brownies all in one bowl. Mash the avocado and banana with a fork until relatively smooth. (Or you can pop them in a food processor if you have one handy.)
3. Then add in all your other ingredients and mix together until smooth.
4. Pour the mixture into your pan and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the top is set. You can also check by inserting a toothpick into the center of the brownies and you’ll know it’s ready when comes out mostly clean with just a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
5. Then take out your avocado brownies and let it cool for about 30 minutes before enjoying!
Note: Store leftovers brownies in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or wrap tightly and freeze in a ziplock bag for up to 4 months so you can have a treat when ever you’re caving it!
Hope you enjoyed this easy & recipe and let me know if you try it out!
Looking for more easy & delicious recipes? Check out:
- Turkey Tacos with Mango Avocado Salsa Recipe
- Sea Salt and Honey Ice Cream Recipe
- 12 Easy Salad Recipes That Are Anything But Boring
- Summer Pasta Recipe: Cremini Mushroom and Eggplant Parmesan Pasta
- 12 Easy Low-Sugar Breakfast Recipes to Start Your Day Off Right