DIY TOMS Tutorial:
Don’t we wish all our shoes were as comfortable as TOMS? Well this tutorial is all about taking these casual shoes to a whole new level with a touch of flirty, feminine lace & chiffon.
I was invited to create this fun tutorial with Buzzfeed.com where I take a regular pair of TOM’s and give them a little makeover for a special event like a wedding or evening soiree. So I’ve create this romantic pair of DIY TOMS with a touch of lace and flowers to transform your everyday slip-ons into a fun and romantic pair of dress shoes you can wear to any special event. Keep on reading to see how you can create your own!
This DIY was feature alongside 10 other fabulous DIY TOM ideas, so make sure you check those out as well on Buzzfeed!
- 1 pair of TOMS
- chiffon fabric
- tea light
- glue gun
DIY TOMS tutorial:
1. Measure and cut the lace. Take your lace and measure the amount you need by lining it up against your TOMS and snipping off any excess lace.
2. Secure the lace with glue. With your glue gun, squeeze out a line of glue where your lace will go. Press your lace along the glue to secure it.
3. Add trim. Measure out the needed amount of trim and attach it in the exact same way as your lace.
4. Make an outline for your chiffon rosettes. Trace a 1.5”-diameter circle on your chiffon fabric, and carefully cut out 8 chiffon circles. (And maybe a few extras just in case.)
5. Cut out your petals. Cut five 1/3” slits into each of the chiffon circles.
6. Shape your petals. Light your tea light and hold each chiffon circle about 1” away from the flame to slightly melt the edges, creating a petal effect. Do this with all 8 of your chiffon circles.
7. Fold your petals into rosettes. Take 4 of your chiffon circles and stack them on top of each other. Then fold the stack in half to from a half circle, then fold it again to form a rosette.
8. Secure your rosettes. Use your stapler to secure the shape of your rosette.
9. Add the finishing touch! Attach your chiffon rosette to your shoes with a glue gun and you’re ready to dance the night away!
Don’t forget to visit Buzzfeed to check out the 10 other fabulous DIY TOM tutorials as well!
Let’s connect on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Google+ | Bloglovin‘
BrandyDecember 28, 2014
That is such a simple, yet almost elegant looking, idea! I am not sure why I never thought of this, fabulous idea. Thanks for sharing this as a neat and affordable way to make a creative gift for family or friends!
R.F. DietzDecember 27, 2014
These turned out fabulous!!!! I feel like if you posted these in an etsy shop you’d sell them in a second! And yet they are fairly simple to make! Great job
CourtneyLynne StormsDecember 27, 2014
Omg gurlieeeee!!! You did a beyond fabulous job with these!!! They look so cute & chic!!! Absolutely love see itttt!!
Margarita IbbottDecember 26, 2014
I have to say, I’m pretty impressed about what you can do with a hot glue gun and some lace. I’m not exactly sure I would want them for wedding shoes but you did a great job. I love how comfortable they are.
Kat B.December 26, 2014
These are super cute! You are really creative. I would have never thought of this.
Liz @ A Nut in a NutshellDecember 26, 2014
That is just the cutest idea! There couldn’t be a more comfortable pair of shoes than Toms!!!
Penny StruebigDecember 26, 2014
Wonderful idea for comfy shoes on your wedding day! My daughter-in-law wore TOMS at her wedding and they were adorable.
Aisha Kristine ChongDecember 26, 2014
Oh gosh, only if I am creative as you – this is so wonderful. I love how it looked like now! Super adorable!
Franc RamonDecember 25, 2014
This makes the Toms Extra Special. It gives it a wedding look and still have the usual comfort of a Toms shoes.
JeanaeDecember 25, 2014
Those are so cute! They definitely would have been appreciated over the ridiculously uncomfortable shoes that I wore during my wedding.
CindyDecember 25, 2014
Who knew they could be so fancy. I love Toms’ I would have totally worn these 14 years ago when I got married!
Heather - MOHTHDecember 24, 2014
Those are so cute! I’d make these for a little girl! Love them.
April MimsDecember 24, 2014
This is such a creative idea to dress up Toms! No reason to wear fancy, uncomfortable shoes on your big day!
Tami - This Mom's DelightDecember 24, 2014
These Toms are absolutely adorable! There’s nothing better than wearing comfortable and cute shoes.
Echo (The Mad Mommy)December 24, 2014
These are gorgeous! What an amazing idea for making a comfortable, yet beautiful wedding shoe! I would have totally wore these!
Carly AndersonDecember 23, 2014
I absolutely love the lace! A girlfriend of mine wore Toms at her wedding….these would have been PERFECT!
Carmen Nimo PerezDecember 23, 2014
This is so original, I would have never thought of dazzling up TOMs like this. They look very pretty.
Tanya CoffmanDecember 23, 2014
You did a great job making these DIY Toms! I would never have thought to dress them up like this, they are so chabby chic adorable! 😀
Robin RueDecember 23, 2014
That is such a cute idea. My sister got married last year in her Chucks. You couldn’t see them, but these would have been a whole lot nicer looking 😉
CarolineMay 5, 2014
You did such a wonderful job! Love them.
EileenMay 6, 2014
Aww thanks Caroline! You’re the sweetest!
EileenMay 5, 2014
Thanks Onel! 🙂
onelMay 5, 2014
I adore the wedding feel with the lace and flowers 😉 Very cute pair of Toms!
EileenMay 5, 2014
Thanks Onel 🙂