Is your pup looking a little bored lately? Dog toys are a great way to keep your dog busy and entertained, but let’s face it, dogs aren’t the most gentle with their toys. And if you’re finding that you’re going through a lot of them, this DIY dog toy is for you!
This fun DIY dog toy is safe, sturdy, and best of all very easy to make. It requires just a few simple materials that you probably already have around the house, which makes it handy and of course budget friendly!
This DIY dog toy combines tug and fetch into a fun toy your pup can retrieve and wrestle with. The materials you need are an old t-shirt (that you don’t mind cutting up), a tennis ball, some scissors and about 10 minutes of your time, and you’ll have a new toy for your furry friend!
Making this tug dog toy for your dog is quick, easy and requires no sewing at all. And with just a couple of reused items from around the house, your dog will have hours of enjoyment and fun.
You might also want to check out:
How to Make a DIY Dog Tug Toy
Materials required for this dog tug toy tutorial:
Step-by-step instructions to make a DIY Dog Toy
1. The first step is to lay your t-shirt on a flat surface. Plan to make 2 cuts horizontally. You’ll need to make 2 strips that are about 5-6 inches wide and an additional thinner strip about 1.5-2 inches wide. (see photo above)
Once you cut your T-shirt, you’ll end up with 3 strips of material that are connected in a circle. Simply snip each of them at one of the ends to make them into long strips.
2. X marks the spot! Lay the 2 wide strips in the shape of an X on a flat surface and place the tennis ball in the middle.
3. Wrap the ball with the 2 strips of fabric. Then gather the strips at the bottom of the ball and tie with the skinny thin strip. Make sure to securely tie this otherwise your DIY dog toy will fall apart easily!
4. Take one of the 4 long strips and cut them into 3 even sections.
5. Braid the 3 long strands and tie securely at bottom to end the braid.
6 Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the other 3 remaining strips and you’ll have a brand new toy for your dog to play with!
Additional Tips and Tricks for this DIY:
- I suggest using a men’s t-shirt for this DIY dog toy. You’ll find that it’s larger and provides more material for you.
- Using a shirt with a pattern is always a little more fun!
- Make sure you securely knot the ends of the braids and secure the material around the ball well to prevent it from falling apart.
- Once this toy falls apart, simply throw any the t-shirt and you can remake it with another one of your old shirts!
More posts from DIY:
- DIY Hand Sanitizer
- DIY Marble and Gold Breakfast Tray
- DIY Teacup Candle Tutorial
- DIY Beauty: Homemade Mango Body Butter Recipe
- DIY Roundup: 10 Summer DIY Fashion Projects