As you might have noticed on Instagram, I’ve really gotten into doing my own nails lately.
I remembered I created this polka dot nail look (below) years ago, and thought I might try again. It’s a colorful spring nail art idea that’s an easy one too (no nails tool required).
This nail art reminds me of those dipping dots ice cream that was so popular back then. And with everything retro back in style, I felt like this polka dot nail art tutorial could use a little revival!
Below is the updated version of this polka dot nail art design that I tried out this weekend!
I generally kept the same idea with colorful polishes, but I decided to changed up the placement of the dots.
Originally I had the polka dots focused at the base of the nails. But this time around I decided to focus them on the tip.
I think I like them this way more, what do you think?
The polish colours I’m using this time around are:
- Pink: OPI Nature Strong – Emflowered
- Light Pink: OPI Nature Strong – We Canyon Do Better
- Yellow: OPI Nature Strong – Make My Daisy
- Blue: OPI – Can’t CTRL Me
- Green: OPI Nature Strong – Cactus What You Preach
Polka Dot Nail Art Tutorial
- To create this fun polka dot nail art, you’ll need few colors of nail polish (4 in my case) and a dotting tool (or just use a blunt toothpick.)
You’ll just want to start off with 2 coats of nail polish. As you can see here, I’ve decided to alternate the colors of my base coat to create a more colorful look.
- I started off with pink polka dots first. You’ll want to put a drop a nail polish on a piece of paper and dot roll your dotting tool in it to pick up the color. I decided to make the dots of varying sizes for a fun, random look. (Also, make it’s a lot easier to do because you won’t need to worry about perfection!)
To make dots, bigger or smaller, adjust the amount of pressure and time you hold your dotting tool to your nail. I basically did 4-6 pink dots on all the nails that didn’t have pink as a base color. If you feel a little nervous trying it on your nail right away, you can always practice some dotting first on a piece of paper. 🙂
- Next, I did the same thing with green. Here’s a little hint for you: when dotting your nail polish on, it will be easier to work with while it still has fluid liquid consistency, once it starts to dry it becomes more difficult to work with.
You may need to give yourself a fresh drop of nail polish on your scrap paper every few nails. You’ll also want to clean your dotting after every few nails and between colors to keep the surface of it smooth to create round polka dots.
- I followed up with purple and finally yellow! If at the end you feel like you need a few more dots of a certain color you can always go back and add them in.
You’ll notice that the dots actually have a raised texture to them, but once you put on your top coat, it will even everything out. I hope you liked these fun easy polka dot nails!
More nail inspo and nail art tutorials:
- Heart Nail Art Design – No Nail Tools Required!
- Spring Flowers Nail Design
- How to Create Heart Nail Designs
- Easy Quilted Nail Art Pattern
- Make Your Own DIY Nail Appliques and Nail Stickers
- Starburst Nail Tutorial
- Movember Mustache Nails Tutorial
- Easy Peasy Sharpie Nail Art
- Minimal Nail Art – Easy Geometric Design